Thursday, September 10, 2009

Completed the Trip

Made it back to my car at about 8:45am. All was well, the car was there and not touched.

Here is a summary of the trip distances:
Day 1: 10.4 miles
Day 2: 9.5
Day 3: 9.3
Day 4: 1.4

Total for the trip 30.6 miles

I did all 30.6 miles barefoot, the blog is not call barefoot trails for nothing. I only received one small (1/4 inch) cut to the top of my foot. Most hikers would have more than that in blisters. I also have a raw spot on my right shoulder, about the size of a quarter, were the backpack strap goes.

I will post pictures later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dave,
Thanks for sharing! What an incredible experience. I would love to see the Rhododendron Preserve in full bloom - WOW. Every slide was more beautiful than the last. Eastern folks call lakes "ponds," I guess ... are the mountains / ledges composed of granite (like out West)? The white pines are lovely & I'm not sure I've seen them before your photos. I appreciated the rustic - yet informative - trail signs!!! It looks wonderful & I enjoyed viewing it. Very relaxing and beautiful, Sheridan

Dave Ellis said...

The rocks of eastern Connecticut are metamorphic rock usually schist and gneiss (pronounced "nice"). This is do to the fact that the rocks of Connecticut were formed during Pangaea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea), the time Africa and North America collided making tall mountains that at one time were higher than the Himalayas, but are not almost gone.

Lakes and ponds are both used. In general lakes are bigger than ponds. Ponds usually shallow enough that plants can grow on the bottom across the pond were as lakes get too deep. But this is not a hard fast rule in the naming.